SEEING IS NOT BELIEVING

Posted by izonprize

Seeing is not believing.  Just because I see something doesn't mean I have faith. I saw a contrast in John 2 today that I hadn't noticed before.  When Jesus drove the money changers out of the house of God the religious Jews asked Jesus, "What sign, miracle, token, indication can you give us as EVIDENCE, that YOU have authority and are commissioned to act in this way?"  Jesus said, "Destroy this temple and in 3 days I will raise it up again!" (Speaking of his own body). It wasn't until Jesus was crucified and then resurrected on the 3rd day, that his disciples remembered what he had told the Jews and THEN "they believed and trusted and relied on the Scripture and the Word (message) Jesus had spoken!  Now that they "saw" they "believed".  But is that faith?   Right after this, during the Passover Feast (perfectly set stage I might add!) MANY BELIEVED in His name (identified themselves with His party), AFTER seeing his signs (wonders, miracles) which He was doing. BUT JESUS (for his part) did not trust himself to them because He knew all men; and He did not need anyone to bear witness concerning man (needed no evidence from anyone about men) for He Himself knew what was in human nature (He could read men's hearts) (see 1 Sam 16:7).  So what is the point?  As I slowed down and really prayerfully looked at this passage again, I see that signs and wonders and miracles are amazing and awesome BUT they should not be why I believe.  I should believe just because HE SAID IT.  Even the blind can see!  Crosby, that dear saint of the last century who wrote "Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!" was blind from her earliest babyhood as a result of an accident. When she was only eight years old she wrote this little rhyme,

Oh, what a happy child I am,
Although I can not see.
I am resolved that in this world,
Contented I will be.
How many blessings I enjoy
That other people don't.
To weep and sigh
Because I'm blind,
I cannot and I won't!
She lived to be over 90, and that beautiful, rejoicing spirit characterized her all her days.  

Today it's my intention to believe what I cannot see.  To trust what is promised but not yet visible.  To love and obey and believe without any sign at all.  Love Never Fails, Leeanna

0 comments: