CLEAR THE STAGE & CRUSH THE IDOLS

Posted by izonprize

I have been doing a new Bible study in my quiet time with God.  It is called NO OTHER GODS by Kelly Minter.  I highly recommend it. I came across the study during the week Jimmy Needham's song CLEAR THE STAGE had my attention (and it still does).  I've pondering this scripture for about a week or more now:
They (God's chosen people) worshipped the LORD, but they ALSO served their own gods (idols).  Even while these people were worshipping the LORD, they were serving their idols.  To this day their children and grandchildren continue to do as their fathers did. They secretly did these things against the LORD their God that were not right" 2 (Kings 17:32-33, 40-41, 8-9).
I remember the first time I read about Israel and idols, I thought how can they bow down to a manmade statue?
But looking all around me all I can see is manmade stuff.
Anything can become an idol.
Even ministry, when man made and sustained, is an idol. Even my children. Even my grandchildren.  When I think about them too much, even good things can become an idol.  I love Jimmy Needham's lyrics that remind me that anything I can't stop thinking of, or worrying over, is an idol.  I've been asking God to show me my idols because I believe all of God's chosen are capable of having them. Today I crushed one of them: Candy Crush.  Deleted from my phone.  The way I knew it had to be an idol was because I had been justifying why it was ok to enjoy it for 15 minutes a day.  Last night on my knees I asked God show me my idols.  This morning I woke up to the candy crush song and seeing candies crushing.  It was pretty clear, so I crushed it from my phone.  The Word says to confess our sins to one another and be healed.
I'm going to continue praying this prayer.  The world we do life in is worse than Sodom and Gomorrah.  May God have all our hearts.  Every single last part of them.  I love you friends.

0 comments: